Sunday 6 October 2013

Hardest ride yet!

OMG! Uhhh! Motivation was hard this morning, I was so tired because our cat came in through the window at 4:00am to shelter from the storm and I couldn't get back to sleep. My dad and I were planning to do a long ride today to Silverlake and back, about 60km! It is was all rainy and grey outside so I knew it would be a long wet ride and I wasn't looking forward to it. Then my dad told me to remember why I'm doing it. He didn't really want to go out in the wet either but it may be raining on the way to Cambodia as it will still be rainy season. I thought about Yok. I can't imagine not being able to hear anything. So off we went.   
 The rain had just slowed for a minute. It was just spotting but there was a thick low cloud all around us. The storm must have been really bad because we passed 2 fallen trees and one of our roads was closed because the drain had collapsed and taken half the road away. The workers let us go through walking with our bikes though. It rained a little bit but we were lucky and reached Silverlake without getting too wet.
We had planned to have a long rest at Wat Yansanwararam and something to eat.

The only thing that we found was a fruit vendor. He was a happy man and liked my dad taking his photo. The watermelon was delicious but we couldn't sit anywhere. My dad thought there were lots of little resteraunts next to the lake but they were selling loads of different fish that you can set free in the 'sacred' lake. I think it is crazy because they probably catch the fish out of the lake and then sell them again. 



So we left Silverlake in search of real food. We found a little shop with a BBQ. It was great to sit on a bench after 37km on the bike! The sausages were yummy, just what I needed. There was cabbage and something like watercress but bigger! That tasted a little bit spicey, so my dad ate all that. There was a cute little baby girl there who stopped crying when she saw us. We must look strange to her with all our cycling kit on.  
 We stopped for half an hour but then had to move on. The weather cleared a little but there were huge puddles and even streams running along some of the roads. There are no drains on most of these country roads. Sometimes there are just ditches on the sides but if they are blocked the water runs along the road. So we get wet from the water coming up off our wheels.
This is a vew over a reservoir that I've never been to before. It was lovely but I was really tired after riding uphill to get to this point. We still had about 10km to go. I felt like I wouldn't be able to get home but then I started to recognise the roads and knew how far we had to go. 

It felt so good to get home! We had pesto pasta, salami, ham, cucumber and sweetcorn. So good! 
We did 54km in 4 hours. About 50 minutes of this was resting. On the trip I will have to do another 20km in a day. It is going to be so tiring!


Check out my ride and map: 53.79 km Bike Ride with MapMyRide
Duration: 3:03:15
Pace: 3.4 min/km
http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/401317297

No comments:

Post a Comment